Friday, December 7, 2012

Pipe Smoker (legendary): Nicolas Chauvin

Did Nicolas Chauvin really exist?  Probably not, it seems.  Allegedly a French soldier during the Napoleonic era, his extreme nationalistic fervor was just cause for the creation of the word chauvinism, which in its original sense meant an extreme, possibly irrational patriotism similar to jingoism.  And which later on, in some languages (such as English), came to describe a denigrating and prejudicial attitude toward women.

In any case, someone, somewhere, created what may well be the most ridiculous-looking portrait of a pipe smoker, ever.

link

2 comments:

  1. I want that hat. When I am old and widowed, I will be up at 5 am every morning wearing that hat and shooting my canon out my third floor window, waking the entire neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete