Saturday, March 22, 2008

Vintage Ad (1908): Old English Curve Cut pipe tobacco



Here is another ad for Old English Curve Cut, with last week's old English guy and his clay churchwarden in the background as the motorcars race past.

Were they really offering the monumental sum of $3,750 (in 1908!) to complete a limerick? Apparently, they were. That's more than $80,000 in today's dollars.
Cried a smoker, "Alas for my plight!
"Wife objects to my smoking at night."

But his friend said, "Tut, tut,"

"Smoke Old English Curve Cut," ...

I can't think of anything right now to finish it. However, I will say that if your wife likes the smell of your pipe, you probably won't. But then I prefer pipe tobaccos that repel mosquitoes and can make certain people recoil in horror.

Okay, I'm kidding on the mosquitoes.

1 comment:

  1. Darn, I live in Houston and could really use a palatable tobacco that repelled mosquitoes too... Maybe something with a hint of citronella. Call it the Outdoorsman's Blend.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete